Wow, kitschywoman, she's just lovely! Good job!
I'm having good luck with her cheeks but I am not getting the lip color to stick. I am trying a different lipstick and am keeping it on for abit instead of putting it on rubbing it off putting it on rubbing it off. We'll see how this works.
Wow, kitschywoman, she's just lovely! Good job!
Kitschywoman, your repainted Felicity is beautiful! I'm afraid I don't have the courage or talent to repaint my doll. My husband has lots of acrylic paint (Apple Barrel craft paint) that he uses to paint action figures--would that work??
My Felicity also has a shiny, sticky face--unlike the other dolls' matte complexions. I think 1997 must have been a bum year for the dolls because she has so many issues. I hardly ever took her out of the box, so I know it wasn't caused by her environment.
Laurie, I love Kailey's nose ring--that is too funny!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, for the lips, use just a few drops of acrylic paint. You may want to get a few shades to mix together to get the right color. I just get the 99-cent acrylic paint in the flip top bottles. You can find this at most large craft stores and, I believe Wal-Mart even carries it. In the same area you can find acrylic paint extender. It's a clear liquid that thins our paint. You will also want to pick up a bottle of acrylic paint sealer. You may have a choice between satin or gloss sealer, so pick whichever you prefer. Gloss will give the lips a higher shine. You can also get stencilling creme. I prefer maroon, but I have also used pink in the past.I have two PM dolls who are in need of some color (Felicity and Molly). I think I will try what you suggest - do you have any further advice on technique (especially for the cheeks)? Also, do you add a sealer on the lip paint?
Once you're home, mix a few drops of your paint shades together until you get a color you like. (I like to come close the the shades AG uses, so I use one of my high-color girls for comparison). Then add several more drops of extender until your mixture has a watery consistency. Using this thinned paint will eliminate brush marks, which is vital if you want to give your doll a factory-finished look.
To apply, I use a small, thin paint brush and I put one thin coat on in the shape I want the lips to be (again, I use a high-color AG for comparison). If you're happy with the shape, let the paint dry. If not, wipe it off with a damp rag and try again. I then apply three to four more coats, letting each coat dry before applying a new one. Once the lips have a nice, opaque look and are dry, I apply one to two coats of acrylic paint sealer, again, letting each coat dry before applying the next one.
Now, using stencilling creme for the cheeks is a bit tricker. The creme is sealed with a waxy coating, which you will have to puncture to get to the color. The maroon creme may look intimidating, but you are going to put the teensiest (and I stress TEENSIEST) bit on your fingertip, and then gently rub it on your dolls cheeks where you want to apply the color. You may see some areas are darker than others, and you may see some clumpy spots. Do not panic. Now, take a rag, dip it in some non-acetone nailpolish remover and begin to blend the stencilling creme like you would a creme blush. You will see the color begin to thin and spread. Keep blending until you have the blush level you want. You can add more color and blend again if you need to. If you completely hate it, apply more nailpolish remover and keep rubbing until it's gone. Then try again. [img]tongue.gif[/img] The creme will take a few days to fully set, but you can still play with your doll. Just keep things from rubbing excessively on her cheeks (something lightly brushing it will do no harm).
Practice makes perfect. Do not get discouraged if your first efforts aren't perfect. They can even be removed when dry with non-acetone nailpolish remover (just keep it away from those painted teeth). I got a good grasp of it in short order, and now it's quite fun. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try washing her face with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge (available in most grocery stores). I've found this can remove a lot of stickiness and grunge. I do this to every doll face before I repaint. Go gently over eyebrows and other painted areas. It will remove the paint if you scrub very hard, but a light wiping is safe.My Felicity also has a shiny, sticky face--unlike the other dolls' matte complexions. I think 1997 must have been a bum year for the dolls because she has so many issues.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's the type in those flip-top bottles, it's what I use. There are lots of brands, and they're usually pretty inexpensive (99 cents to 1.50 a bottle).My husband has lots of acrylic paint (Apple Barrel craft paint) that he uses to paint action figures--would that work??
FYI--I can be talked into doing restoration work on occasion for a modest fee. It really depends on how busy I am at the time. In fact, I'm doing a recolor on Traveling Ruthie today (with her mom's permission). I'll do a before and after photo series. I've already steamed her hair, and it looks gorgeous! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 06, 2005 10:25 AM: Message edited by: kitschywoman ]</font>
Kitschywoman: What fabulous directions: thank you very much!
Ophelia12: You and me both on the nervousness part - I'm especially nervous about doing my Molly's cheeks, so I think I will start with my Felicity. Good Luck!
Shawn
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 06, 2005 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Jandjmom ]</font>
Orphelia, congratulations on Elizabeth!!!
Ann, LOVE the outfit on your Lissie!!! where you got that?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Wow! Thanks so much, kitschywoman, for the very detailed instructions. We have lots of the paint at home, so I may gird my loins and try my hand at it soon. Wish me luck!
Bookmarks